Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Sleep Wise: How to Feel Better, Work Smarter, and Build Resilience

by Daniel Jin Blum

Lots of good information on why we need sleep and how sleep works.  There's some science thrown
in these chapters but explained easily enough for the layman.  I enjoyed knowing the science behind our sleep and what is actually suppose to happen during a good night's sleep and what happens when we don't get the sleep we need.  The author recommends a sleep assessment and then provides some sound advise on how to improve our time in bed.  Many of these I already do, such as use bed for sleep only - no reading, watching t.v., etc.  I usually wait for 40-50 minutes before getting outing of bed without going to sleep.  Blum suggests only 20 min.  And I never lay in bed if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.  I'm anxious to implement the incremental time change for waking up - wake up 15 minutes earlier for a week and then go to 30 min. 

I recommend Sleep Wise to anyone wanting to know more about what happens when we sleep, what we are sacrificing when we don't sleep well, and what we can do to improve the quality of our sleep.  As a major insomniac I appreciated the concrete suggestions on how to improve my sleep.

No comments: