Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Hand-Stitched Home

by Susan Beal

This is a beautiful book featuring household items made using Pendleton wools.  I thoroughly enjoy reading the history of Pendleton Woolen Mills as I was fortunate to visit the mill and store located in Pendleton, Oregon several years ago.
I wasn't into quilting then, or any sewing for that matter, or I would have bought some yardage.

If you're not familiar with Pendleton wools they are usually woven into plaids or Native American designs.  My first introduction to them were as men's shirts.  They were beautiful and highly desired and quite costly, but they lasted forever.

The projects in this book range from pillows to plant hangers, bags, backpacks, and blankets. There's a gorgeous winter cape.  And even instructions for a belt.

I have never sewn with wool before so I was happy that Beal includes a thorough 'how-to' section.  If you are interested in sewing with and creating beautiful wool items, this is the book for you.  I think I'm going to start off simple with one of the scarf patterns and work my way up to a pillow and then a tote.

* I received a copy of Hand-Stitched Home  from NetGalley and Tauntan Press in exchange for my review.  No other compensation was received.

No comments: