Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Some of My Favorite Book Blogs & a Vlog

 
The Assignment from BBAW Headquarters:  What book blogs mean something to you?  Who are your most trusted sources for recommendations, your greatest help, the blogger you turn to for a laugh or to vent?  Whose writing do you admire or who introduced you to a whole new genre you didn’t know about?  We want to hear all about them…because we want to know them too!  Please share about the blogs we haven’t had a chance to meet via BBAW and let the party begin!

My first mention is something new and exciting.  Instead of a blog, Katie has started a book vlog.  She has such a bubbly personality and her love of reading is evident.   I encourage you to watch her first post and see if you aren't hooked as well.

What did I tell you?!  Isn't she fun?  Last night she posted her review of Hunger Games and Catching Fire (no spoilers).

Isn't this a great way to hear someone's feelings for a book? Subscribe to Kate's Book Club for future reviews.

Other bloggers who are my most trusted sources of recommendations are:

Lesley's Book Nook - I find her reviews very reliable and pretty much in line with my tastes.  I think we've felt differently on a couple of books, but most of the books she recommends I have loved.  I buy books based on her recommendations.  In fact, I've probably bought more books because of her than any other book blogger.   My bulging bookshelves are on your head, Les!

Jenclair from A Garden Carried in the Pocket -  another trusted friend who I hold responsible for tempting me to buy more books than I can read.  Jenclair reads books that stretch her thinking and skills in many different areas.  Her example inspires me to stretch my learning.

Framed from Framed and Booked - I trust her reviews because she tells it like it is.  I have added many books to my shelves and TBR lists because of Framed.  She reads a wide variety of genres and her reviews are well-written, often filled with wry humor.

Some of my other favorites, blogs I love to visit and usually give me a boost:

Raidergirl3 from An Adventure in Reading - I love her weekly feature, It's Tuesday, Where Are You?  Heck, I love her whole blog.  Raidergirl3 is one of the first bloggers I met f2f.  It was so fun.  Every time I listen to my maritime music or think of Anne of Green Gables, I think of Raidergirl3, and I think of all those with a smile.

SuziQ of Whimpulsive - I love her blog name and her blog.  The fact that she lives in one of my favorite cities is just icing on the cake.  (Okay, so maybe it makes me a bit jealous!)  Every click on her page brings up that beautiful view of the ocean. Her reviews are always well written and I often buy books that she rates positively.  I met SuziQ when we visited Oregon last October.  We enjoyed a very pleasant hour of visiting in Powell's coffee shop.  It was a highlight of our trip.

Thoughts of Joy - has long been a favorite.  She quite often reviews mystery/suspense which is one of my favorite genres.  Whatever genre she reviews she writes good, succinct yet informative reviews.

Bookfool from Bookfoolery and Babble - always lifts my spirits with her good humor.  I would like to meet Bookfool in person because I know she would be fun to be around.  If you haven't made her one of your favorites yet it's because you probably haven't been introduced.  Now you have.  Stop by for a good southern visit with Bookfool.  You will be so glad you did.

I've been writing this post on and off throughout the day.  It's now 7 pm. and I am choosing to quit though there are many more blogs that I would like to mention.   All the bloggers I have listed are those that I have been friends with for over 2 or 3 years when the book blogosphere was much smaller.  I can't believe how it has grown.  It makes my head spin!

18 comments:

Framed said...

Thanks for the mention. I know I have an awful lot of books on my list that you've recommended. Plus I like reading all the other bloggers you've highlighted. I wish my computer was faster so I could watch Katie's reviews.

Literary Feline said...

I love the vlog! Katie's done a great job. If I wasn't a reader, she'd definitely turn me into one.

The other blogs you've mentioned are among my favorites as well. :-)

Ana S. said...

Fabulous choices! The ones I already know I love too, so I really have to discover the others :)

Iliana said...

Oh I'm already a big fan of some of your choices. Which only means, I need to get to know the others!

Alyce said...

That's cool - I've never seen a book blog entirely devoted to vlogs before.

Lesley said...

Wow, I give that girl major props for doing a book vlog! I fear I couldn't be presentable nor articulate enough to do that myself.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Great choices, and a couple of new ones for me too. Thanks so much.

Staci said...

What great descriptions of the reasons why you really enjoy these blogs!! There are a few new ones for me to check out!

bermudaonion said...

I love the vlog and the list of bloggers! Great job!

Susan said...

vlog.....I'm shaking my head here. virtual book blogs? yikes, that's scary. Really. I talk really fast as it is, and I hate the camera. But I'm impressed that Katie did it, and she enjoyed it!

I really enjoy many of the blogs you mentioned, and they each are so delightful and fun. They deserve to be mentioned more often! thank you, Booklogged!

Jill said...

You have some of my favorites there, and also some new-to-me ones that I'm looking forward to checking out. Thanks!

brizmus said...

Hey! I've just discovered your blog, and I'm already loving it. I've been looking at some of the blogs you mention, and they all look great.

I'm new to the book blogging scene (just recently starting one of my own), but I thought I'd share the blog that I have been loving (and that possibly inspired me to start my own)/ Confessions of a Wandering Heart. I love this blog, and it has turned me on to so many books I don't think I xould have read otherwise.

Bookfool said...

I want to meet you in person, too!!!! We've got to work on that. Are you in Utah? Les and I are planning to visit Utah, next year. Thanks for saying so many nice things about me. I feel all heaped with warm fuzzies. You've made my day. :)

Bybee said...

I thrill at how Joy can get her reviews to be so concise. Good list.

SuziQoregon said...

Awww - thank you! You're far too kind. We definitely share a core group of favorite bloggers.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

You got to meet SuziQoregon? How fun! Great list of blogs!

Les said...

OK, I think we all need to plan a blogger gathering, perhaps in Utah AND Oregon! :)

Thanks for the mention here. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to send this comment. I really need to just call in sick for a week and catch up, especially before the holidays.

Oh, and I love, love, love Katie's book vlog! What an articulate young woman. I've subscribed and look forward to her future reviews. Better her than me. I have enough trouble putting my thoughts to paper (or keyboard). I'd sound like an idiot in front of a video camera. ;(

BTW, sorry for your bulging bookshelves. ;)

Thoughts of Joy said...

I love Katie's vlogs!!! She got me excited about the books, and I've already read them! I'm definitely adding her onto my Google Reader. :)

And . . . thank you so much for adding me to your list of trusted sources! I am touched and feel honored to be your friend. There's no question that I love reading your blog, but commenting has been a little more difficult lately. My Google Reader is exploding, and I can't keep up. :(

(If you haven't noticed, today is your day for me to comment!)