Pages

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Mailbox Monday

I received 3 books in the mail this week.   I was holding my breath that #4 in the Inspector Gamache series would arrive before the weekend, but it didn't.  It was released on Sep 1 and I pre-order it, but I guess I'll have to hope it shows up on Tues. since today is a holiday.  I've also been anxiously anticipating the arrival of Cleopatra's Daughter as an ARC.  It will be released on Sep 15 and I need some time to get it read before then.

The 3 books that did make their way to my house were either mooched or bought from used bookstores online.   They all have a theme - Cape Cod.  Dawn from She is too Fond of Books told of her vacation there and the friendly people at the local library.  She also shared a nice list of books set in Cape Cod.  Hey - I only bought or mooched three.  I thought that showed great restraint.  After spending time looking at the cape on Google Earth, I mentioned to Candleman that we really need to spend a week there.  Plans are cheap - we have a million vacation spots planned.

Anyway, back to the books.
Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
Dying to Sea by Frank Heavey

Remember Me by Mary Higgins Clark

I read this one years ago, but I remember liking it better than most of Clark's, and I liked Clark a lot in those days.  Still read each new book as it comes out.  Since this was on the Cape Cod list and since I'm going there someday, I thought it would be worth a reread.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have loved all of Alice Hoffman's books. I'm going to have to see if I can mooch this one too.

serendipity_viv said...

Remember Me took me back. I remember buying it when it came out and absolutely loving it. I never read another Mary Higgins Clark though. Don't know why. I like the Alice Hoffman one.

Zibilee said...

I hopped over to Amazon to check out Blackbird House, and I am pleasantly intrigued. I don't read very many short story collections, but these seemed really interesting. I put the book on my wish list, and look forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up!

Staci said...

Your mailbox was very good to you!! I received a few this past week too.

I love the new blog background..very pretty!!

Cath said...

Blackbird House is excellent. It's the only book I've read by Alice Hoffman so I should really read more.

Framed said...

I can pass on Mary Higgins Clark, even Alice Hoffman if it's short stories, but Dying Sea looks wonderful. I wonder how a large bookshelf would look in my living room and if I could fit it in.

Anna said...

I love the cover of Blackbird House. Happy reading! My mailbox post is here.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kailana said...

I have owned Blackbird House FOREVER and still not read it.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Oh, I'm so pleased that you were inspired to buy/mooch some books set in the Cape (I love that line, "plans are cheap." Story of my life! :) )

I'll add one more to the list. It's set on Buzzards Bay, not the Cape, but close by. Have you read THE BIG HOUSE by George Colt Howe (or is it George Howe Colt? I can never remember!) Anyway, it's a wonderful memoir about a family (over the generations) in their seasonal home, and all the special memories that were made there. Highly recommended!

Bookfool said...

I love what little I've read of Alice Hoffman, so I'll be looking forward to your review of Blackbird House.

That mailbox is so cool!!!

Thoughts of Joy said...

I still haven't read a Hoffman book. :(