Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

All-of-a-Kind Family

by Sydney Taylor

I read this delightful book for the Something About Me Challenge. This was Alison's selection to help us get to know her better. Here's what she had to say about this book:
"I am the oldest in a family of seven daughters and no sons, so I grew up in an "all of a kind family" like the one in this novel. I also think this children's book, read to my sisters and me by our mom, was the beginning of my interest in the Jewish culture."
That intrigued me because my husband and I only have daughters, no sons. And I have an interest in Jewish culture, so the book sounded like a good choice for me to read.

I thoroughly enjoyed All-of-a-Kind Family and since I wasn't fortunate enough to find it in my youth I'm glad I found it now. Thanks, Alison, for suggesting it. The setting is 1910's New York City. It provided a wonderful glimpse into that time period and into Jewish life and culture in a poor neighborhood. I knew about Passover and a few other Jewish holidays, but had never heard of Purim. For that holiday the girls dressed up in costumes (old dresses & shawls) then delivered baskets of goodies to friends and relatives.

8 comments:

Jeane said...

I had heard about this book before, but didn't really know anything of it. I had no idea it was about Jewish people.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Ooh, I read this book and all the sequels when I was a kid. I just loved them!

Les said...

I received all of the books in this series when I was about 8 or 9. I loved them dearly and still have them. I don't think my daughter read them when she was little, but I'm hanging on to them. Maybe for a grandchild. :)

Joy said...

I was told many, many times to read this series when I was young, but never did.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Framed said...

I purchased this a few months ago but it is languishing on the shelf. At least I have it to look forward to.

SuziQoregon said...

I remember reading this and the sequels when I was a kid too. Loved them!

Anonymous said...

I loved all these books when I was a kid!

alisonwonderland said...

i'm glad you enjoyed this book. i have such great memories about this series from my childhood.