Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Stardust

by Neil Gaiman
Rating: 4.5/5
This book was a joy to read. I received it as a present from Bellezza when I won a drawing during Buy Your Friend A Book week. Periodically while reading, I would be caught with the thought that this book came from Bellezza and that would make me smile. To think it had once set on a shelf in her house and that she also read it made it doubly fun to read.

I rated this book higher than Neverwhere. I think subconsciously the dark, damp world of the London underground may have affected my overall feelings about Neverwhere. Stardust was much lighter.

The story is about a falling star, the three different groups of people who see it fall and the meaning they attach to it. A member of each group sets out to find the fallen star, by doing so, that person will receive something of great meaning to them.

I would recommend Stardust to anyone who hasn't yet read a Neil Gaiman work. It is a wonderful fairy tale. Thank-you, Bellezza, for the very fine gift. I enjoyed it immensely.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book too, although my feelings on it vs. Neverwhere are the opposite of yours - I count Neverwhere among my favorite books, but Stardust was more of a pleasant read. I'm curious to see what the film adaptation will be like!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad you enjoyed it, it is a wonderful story that I read at least once yearly because I love it so much. I really hope they don't botch the movie adaptation that is due out next year.

Among many others I have the version you have pictured and am lucky to have had a friend who took it to Seattle a few years ago to a fantasy convention so that Charles Vess could sign it. He also drew a very nice picture in it for me. Last year I took it with me to Chicago and had Neil Gaiman sign it as well. It is one of my treasures.

Neverwhere is my favorite of the two but honestly they are so close that it is only because Neverwhere was the first one of the two that I read that it is my favorite.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Carl gave me this book and I liked it so much I told my friend about it & let her borrow it.. she loved it too!

Bookfool said...

I'm looking forward to this one - snatched a copy when my local outlet bookstore was going out of business, primarily because I liked the cover. It wasn't till a week or two later that I started reading about Gaiman on blogs. I feel so lucky to have grabbed a nice hardback of a book people I know love!

Bellezza said...

You are so welcome, booklogged. I'm glad you liked it as much as I liked giving it to you. Sharing books is a wonderful thing.

lazy cow said...

I loved this too. Hope the movie will be as magical as the book...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really nice story, booklogged! I've been meaning to read one of this author's books for a long time now...I might have to set myself a Neil Gaiman challenge! :)