Pages

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Hearing

by John Lescroart
Rating 4/5
Earlier this year I read Second Chair by Lescroart and enjoyed it enough to read another of his. Since finishing The Hearing I've done a little research on Lescroart. He has three mystery series: Dismas Hardy, Abe Glitsky and Wyatt Hunt. The Second Chair is the ninth in the Dismiss Hardy series and was written in 2004. The Hearing is the third out of four in the Abe Glitsky series and was written in 1999. What's funny about this is that both books included both men; one who is an attorney and the other who is a police detective. Hardy and Glitsky have a close friendship and sometimes help each other on various cases.

I haven't found that it has hurt me to read these two books out of order, but I think I'm interested enough now that I'll go back to the start and read both series. Lescroart writes well without adding gratutious sex and violence. Reading to find the solution to the crime is compelling and it's hard to put the book down.

Another interesting tidbit I learned about Lescroart is he writes his own songs and has a CD published. Country-type music. He has a nice voice.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to express my thanks for The God of Small Things which I won on this site during Buy a Friend a Book Week. I loved doing it on my site and my college roommate whom I haven't seen in well over 20 years was the winner.

Plus since everyone had to list their top three books of all time, I got lots of good titles to add to my TBR list...thus ensuring my immortality (I'm assuming you can't die until you've read everything on your TBR list, right?)

Just started The Thirteenth Tale and looking forward to starting The God of Small Things.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even realize they were different series. I just thought this book featured Dismas and this one featured Abe. :)

The Wyatt Hunt series is evidently new. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I checked and found that since Abe and Dismas are getting a bit MATURE, the Wyatt Hunt series will allow more action with a younger protagonist. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are as good as Lescroart's Abe and Dismas series.

Anonymous said...

This book might peak my interest. I am loving your blog. All this great reading material.

BTW I stuck with The Thirteenth Tale and still do not love it, but I am finding it a little more interesting. I think I will keep going. I have so many blogs (like yours) that I'm loving that I don't have quite as much time to read, but I will have to carve out a little more.

Anonymous said...

Today's score:

Read: A bit less than half of Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

Added to The List: 14, possibly 16, books by John Lescroart.

Hmmm - should I really say "Thanks" ???


;-P

Framed said...

There's 14 books by this guy??? I must stay away from that. Good thing A to Z has kept me focused or I'd be crazy trying to read all these books.

Booklogged said...

Di, I'm glad to hear that The God of Small Things made it safely to your door. It sound like such a good book I added it to my list. Hope it turns out to be enjoyable.

Jenclair, I wonder if I'll relate as well to young guy?

Christina, I so understand what you mean - blogging does cut down on reading time, not to mention laundry, housework, etc.

SuziQ, where were you with your math skills before I picked up Lescroart?! You could have saved my list from toppling over.

Framed, you're not afraid of missing out on a great mystery with 2 mature and lovable hunks? I think these books are just the things you would love. Of course, not until your through with 'Z'

Anonymous said...

I have read some of his books and I always enjoy them.

Nope, I did not design the Buddha head. I found it at Getty images.

Framed said...

Mature and loveable?? Well, maybe I can add them to the list for after Z.