Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2006

The View From Saturday

by E.L. Konigsburg (read June 2006)
What a wonderful book. One of my favorite Newberrys, along with The Giver, Island of the Blue Dolphins and Holes. I had planned to read the 2006 Newberry Award book, Criss Cross, but the librarian shared her opinion that The View from Saturday was much better. I thank her for directing me to this book.

The story features four 6th graders and their teacher. We focus in on each of the children one by one and experience their journeys of emotional and social growth. The journeys are not catastrophic; just parts of their lifes that help them grow. The ribbon that runs throughout is an academic team contest at the end of the school year. I know, the storyline does not sound that intriguing, but the book IS magnificient. I rate this book with a 5.

Towards the end of the book the 6th grade teacher, Mrs Olinski, is meeting her former mentor and principal. She watches this older woman who she has greatly admired and thinks, "A turquoise jogging suit. Tuquoise!" She had always regarded turquoise, like shocking pink and chartreuse, as the color equivalent of the word ain't: quaint when seldom used but vulgar in great doses.

Konigsburg also wrote the 1967 Newberry Award From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I'm thinking I'll read it for next summer's reading program.

6 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Thank you, thank you, booklogged for this review! I have a 5th grader and she is always on the look out for good books to read - I will definitely have to borrow this one from the library for her and maybe I will read it too!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Booklogged, do you teach? When you started your post with, "What a wonderful book", I instantly thought about all the wonderful titles you pick, that instantly draw us in, into your posts. This sounds like fun. Interestingly, I never thought of turquoise in that way before. My favourite colours are indeed shocking pink and indigo. What does that make me, I wonder.
love

Booklogged said...

Lotus, I am hoping to persuade my 17-yr-old daughter to read it as well. I think anyone from 8-101 would enjoy it.

Susan, I taught high school biology until this spring. In the fall I will only be working half a day teaching study skills. I majored in biology with a chemistry minor. In my next life I want to be a neurobiologist and study brain chemistry and, of course, discover cures for several neurological disorders. Sounds like a good plan, huh?

Lotus Reads said...

Wow booklogged, that's awesome! I majored in Life Sciences which included a course in the neurosciences, so I can fully understand your fascination with the subject.I love reading books on how the brain works, infact, a book I have been meaning to read is called, "Brain Matters: Dispatches from Inside the Skull" by Katrina S. Firlik. It's exciting to me that you have a background in science as well. And yes, you would make a wonderful neurobiologist!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Yes, Booklogged, if it had been this life, I would have asked you for a new brain transplant. Ha-Ha!
By the way, I can't wait to hear about the new book you're currently reading, called 'The Husband'. Sounds intriguing.
love

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming to see my blog. I have taken your advice...I don't know why I hadn't already done it...and posted my summer reading challenge titles! I will be keeping an eye on your blog, you have really interesting titles!